Thursday, July 29, 2010

Christ in You


Ever been to Murfreesboro, Tennessee?
Murfreesboro is a delightful town, not too far from Nashville. I visited there a couple of times in the late 1960’s while a college student. I remember it as rustic and yet bustling with energy. I have been told that it has changed a lot since the 60’s, acquiring businesses and many new residents. The population is now 100,000 or so. It is home to many effective churches and a few years ago acquired the presence of the newspaper The Sword of the Lord, dedicated to consecrated Christian living.

Now Murfreesboro is about to acquire something else: an Islamic Community Center.

The proposed center, funded I suspect by the Saudi government, is impressive – 52,000 square feet. It will feature a mosque, educational classrooms, a soccer field, tennis court, gymnasium and swimming pool. For good measure, a cemetery also – no good Muslim wants to be buried alongside Christians. The director, an Imam, is Egyptian educated.

Let’s be frank about the selection of Murfreesboro for the placement of this Islamic Community Center. Murfreesboro represents the heart of Christian local church evangelistic efforts in America. Much of the local church evangelism that is done in the United States is a result of the Christian publishing done in Murfreesboro. Some have referred to Murfreesboro as “the buckle on the Bible belt.” I can say, “That is an apt description”. The Islamic presence will attempt to make the Christian community of Murfreesboro look intolerant. If it succeeds, the media will have a story that will appear internationally. As we all know, the major transgression any American can make in this day and age is to appear intolerant. In Saudia Arabia and other Islamic countries, intolerance of other faiths is a cultural norm. I wonder what will happen if this religion gains the upper hand in America? You and I both know the answer to that question. Jihad will spare very few. This is not as if the Baptists or Presbyterians want to construct a new church here.

In light of Islam’s intolerance against other religions, it is no surprise that some of the more enlightened residents of Murfreesboro and Rutherford County have issued warnings. Lou Ann Zelenik, the Republican candidate for Congress, calls the proposed center “an Islamic training center.” If you don’t understand this phrase, read “a place where terrorism will be advocated.” She is probably correct. A weekly paper called The Reader has joined the controversy by publishing articles about the harshness of Sharia law (“cut off his hand if he steals” – this will effectively stop his stealing with the hand, but how about giving him a chance to repent and reform first?). Many residents of Rutherford County, Tennessee recently spoke against the project at a public hearing. As I write, I am unaware that the county commissioners have made a decision on permitting or denying the project to advance.

This information leads me to wonder, what if an Islamic Community Center moved in next door to me, in my neighborhood. How would I react? After the initial surprise, I would hope that I could approach these new neighbors as a Christian witness.

I would want to love these persons with the love of Christ. I would want to befriend them. I would try to keep in mind that these are people, too. Their hearts yearn for truth – the truth that only Jesus and the Bible give. Then, having befriended them, I would hope to inform them that Jesus died for their sins. I would want them to see the change He brings in a life by seeing it in me.

I would want to remember that the nation Israel faced persons who did not share their faith. But those non-Hebrew people witnessed the presence of God in Israel’s national midst. Consequently, they wanted to learn about Israel’s God. At Jericho, Rahab hid the Hebrew spies because she had “heard how the Lord made a dry path for you through the Red Sea when you left Egypt” (Joshua 2:10).

I would want them to see the reality of Christ in me and…

Christ in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment